Walrilla's Wonderings

WALrus+goRILLA=Walrilla! What's not to love?

27 March, 2009

A Month!

Damn! I can't believe it's been a month since my last post. I am so lazy, it's pitiful!

Well, what's been going on?

We went to NYC and had a wonderful time. I even kept up(mostly) with all the walking! Actually, the walking part wasn't so bad. but the steps leading down to and up from the subway were what killed me. And I am SO P.I.S.S.E.D at not being able to get together with Erica, you can't even believe it! It was just non-stop, go-go-go, rush everywhere, that there was just no time in between.

The Broadway play Wicked was amazing! So much so that we went to Spamalot in Austin when we got back home, are planning to go to Avenue Q in April, and will go see Wicked again when it comes to Austin in August! Totally absorbing! I never thought this Texas Redneck would enjoy something like that, but I did, totally!

We went to 30 Rockefeller Plaza, to the Top Of The Rock Observatory, overlooking Central Park. And to the top of the Empire State Building at night. The view was outstanding.

And get this! No rude people were encountered anywhere, even when I was a total goober hick and ordered a Pastrami and Swiss, with mustard, on Rye. At a kosher deli. KOSHER! Erica and Elisson will understand that one. They just said "We don't have cheese here". And , of course, I realized immediately what I had just asked of them. Kinda like if I had asked for a bowl of Texas chili, with some beans in it. Podner, that just ain't done! Leastways, not in "true" Texas chili!

All in all, the New York trip is definitely one I will repeat in the future, but I definitely will pick my own restaurants next time. Dallas BBQ and Bubba Gump's were not bad, but, they were not specifically New York eats. On the other hand, I cannot recommend Trattoria dopo Teatro highly enough! Authentic Italian food, good beyond belief! We went there before we went to Wicked, and it was out of this world. I did get a "dirty water dog", a slice of "pie"(pizza), a bagel, and a Nathan's hotdog. I missed Papaya King, and New York Cheesecake, but maybe next time, huh?

Dear wife continues her weightloss journey, with a loss of an amazing 55 pounds! Mom is doing great, and boy is doing fine in Bootcamp. He made platoon leader the other day. I'm so proud of him for turning his life around!

Little Girl's birthday party is this weekend, and a co-worker is making a cake that is going to put Ace Of Cakes to shame! I'll share pictures when I get them downloaded.

See Y'all Later,

Walrilla

4 Comments:

  • At 27 March, 2009 22:54 , Blogger none said...

    Excellent.. Your description of the NYC trip might even get a stick in the mud like me to get on a plane.

    Yeah the meat and milk thing..I learned about that when I had a kosher certification project.

    Good thing you didn't ask for a BLT on rye... ;D

    Welcome back!

     
  • At 01 August, 2009 11:46 , Blogger Tab said...

    Glad to hear you're having a good time. Check out my blog for a picture of the cake I made for my little one (the Trekker he is!)
    Good to hear about the Mrs., too- can't wait to see her again-- yeah!

    Enjoy the next few weeks-- so exciting that you've seen Spamalot, too-- love to hear about it.

     
  • At 01 August, 2009 12:12 , Blogger Tab said...

    OOPS!
    http://justkeepwriting-tab.blogspot.com/2009/08/birthday.html

     
  • At 03 April, 2010 13:59 , Blogger k said...

    Now THIS was an excellent post!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home