Walrilla's Wonderings

WALrus+goRILLA=Walrilla! What's not to love?

23 January, 2007

WOW!

I am finally back online, everybody! I got out of the hospital last Tuesday, Jan. 16th, then promptly got sick with a stomach virus. I apologize for not getting back sooner, but I have just not felt well enough to sit up, let alone read anything.

I'm better now, and I've read all of y'all's comments(after several stops to "clear the dust out of my eyes")and all I can say is, I am truly humbled to see and realize the love and the caring shown by all of y'all. I am so truly appreciative and thankful, and I am so proud to call each of you "Friend". With all the prayers, good thoughts, and well wishes from people such as y'all, there's no way I can't get well!

I thought about this for a good while, and when I went in to the hospital,I was actually just going to have the foot healed, the infection stopped, and nothing else. When the foot doctor finished with it, though, she had made several holes in the foot... well, actually, the infection had, but, she had packed them with gauze, and she had excavated a pit on the top of my foot, exposing the tendons and bones. A couple of days after she performed the surgery, she repacked the gauze in the foot.

Brothers and sisters, that little episode changed my mind, but good. When the orthopedic surgeon came in and examined my foot, I felt somewhat relieved when he said that my foot was too far gone to save, just because I knew I wouldn't have to have my foot repacked again.

I really am at peace with my decision, now. We talked about, how, even if we tried everything we could, and somehow were able to save the foot, how much would really be left, and how usable would it be? He explained, and I agreed, how there was just too much infection in the foot, and that it would be better to just go ahead and amputate, and I requested that he go as far up as necessary to ensure clean flesh and no residual infection.

I now have about 6 inches left below the left knee. In about 2 to 3 months, I will start PT for an artificial leg, and I am going to work like hell to get back to some semblance of the mobility I used to have. I won't be running any road races, but, let's face it, I didn't run any before, either. B-)

Again, I would like to thank everybody from the bottom of my heart. You just can't realize how much your prayers and good thoughts have meant to me, my wife, and our family.

If a man is counted wealthy by the quality of his friends, then I am rich beyond all measure.

Walrilla

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home