Walrilla's Wonderings

WALrus+goRILLA=Walrilla! What's not to love?

27 November, 2006

The Last Of Thanksgiving...

This year, anyway.

I'm sitting here eating the last piece of my mother's Buttermilk Pie(no recipe, yet, darn it) and dang, it sure is good. Flaky crust, smooth creamy custardy buttermilk filling, mmmmmmm mmmmmm. The only trouble is, it's only my second piece.

Would you believe my family ate nearly all this pie? How dare they?? That's my pie! My Mama made it just for me, not them!

Seriously, we had a great time Thursday. We drove up to Rio Vista to visit some of my mother-in-law's family, then drove back home to see my family. Both places had old-time country home cooking, the kind everyone wishes they had grown up with and only a lucky few do. My wife and I both grew up with this and eagerly look forward to it every year. We're both pretty good cooks, but neither of us can touch our mothers or aunts for country cooking.

You know the stuff, turkey and sage dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, ham, green bean casserole, home made biscuits and rolls, pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, candied yams topped with marshmallows, pecan pie, cranberry sauce, all that good healthy stuff.

And it is healthy. Oh, maybe not healthy in a losing-weight, low-carb, kind of way, but healthy for the soul, good for getting back to your roots kind of healthy.

I hope all of you had a good Thanksgiving, too.

Walrilla

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home